Saturday 2 April 2011

Trip to London

I decided I needed some inspiration, so I had trip to London to see some work thats being produced at the moment, I went to see Fran Richardsons "Interior Castles", I was totally blown away at the scale and quality of her work. They are large charcoal drawings of interior spaces that are made up from collages, but the way in which she utilizes the charcoal and the contrast between the shade and light is just phenominal. The works are so delicate and yet have a strong euphoric sense that dominates the space, viewing the work you become almost in the space that the drawings depict.

I also went to see Paul Emsleys  exhibition at Redfern Gallery. Again I was blown away at the outstanding quality of the works. He uses charcoal and pencil to produce really dark emotive pieces, his work emphasizes the singularity and silence of the form, creating extremely moody drawings that carry huge ambiance with them, I could have looked at the drawings for hours, I was trying to get really close to see how he drawn the images but they gave away no secrets, he is a master of drawing, someone that I can only strive to be one day. Seeing both these artists has made me see the standard you can achieve with both pencil and charcoal, its has inspired me to get in the studio and imporve my own skills.

www.franrichardson.co.uk/
http://www.paulemsley.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment